Published by PLUM 39.99
The World’s Best Rissoles
I must admit this isn’t saying much! But, rissoles are back, baby. Good times.
makes 12 prep: 20 mins cooking: 30 mins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, fi nely chopped
- 1 carrot, coarsely grated
- 1 zucchini, coarsely grated
- 800 g lamb mince
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1 heaped tablespoon of whatever European herbs you’ve got in the garden or your vegetable crisper, chopped (basil, oregano, parsley, coriander, tarragon and marjoram are all good – but be sparing with mint or sage)
- 50 g (½ cup) rolled oats
- 1 egg
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 90 g (¼ cup) mint jelly
- 2 tablespoons malt vinegar (or whatever vinegar you have)
- Potato Skin Mash (page 205),
- steamed greens, to serve
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot and zucchini. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, or until everything softens. Transfer to a large bowl to cool.
Add the mince, tomato sauce, herbs, oats and egg to the vegetable mixture. Season. Use clean hands to mix until well combined. Use a ¹⁄³ cup measure to shape into 12 rissoles.
Heat the remaining oil in the pan. Add the rissoles in batches and cook for 5 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
Add the mint jelly and vinegar to the pan. Stir over medium heat until the jelly melts. Return the rissoles and toss for 2 minutes, or until well coated, sticky and glossy. Serve the rissoles on mashed potato with steamed greens.